A healthier side dish for Thanksgiving!
The genius hack in this recipe: topping sweet potatoes with marshmallows while they're still piping hot from the slow cooker yields a baked marshmallow topping that's typical with baked sweet potato casseroles.
Prep: 20 min.
Ready In: 3 hrs. 20 min.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (½ inch)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (Truvia Brown Sugar Blend 18 Oz.)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (McCormick Ground Cinnamon 2.37 Oz.)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans
- Place sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir to coat. Cook on High for 3 hours.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Top with marshmallows and pecans. (The heat from the sweet potatoes will partially melt the marshmallows.).
Serving size: ½ cup
Per serving: 159 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat); 3 g fiber; 25 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 8 mcg folate; 8 mg cholesterol; 10 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 17,941 IU vitamin A; 15 mg vitamin C; 36 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 227 mg sodium; 283 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (359% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1½
Eating Well - http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/260751/slow-cooker-sweet-potato-casserole-with-marshmallows/