From: EatingWell Magazine - March/April 2012
Crunchy carrot, cucumber and scallions are a colorful addition to this vegetarian egg salad recipe. Pack it with some crunchy crackers and tomatoes for a healthy, light lunch.
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (Great Value Salt, 26 oz.)
- 8 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip)
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped cucumber, peeled and seeded if desired
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
Active: 25 min.
Ready In: 25 min.
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, pepper and salt in a medium bowl.
- Halve eggs and discard 4 of the yolks (or save for another use). Add whites and the remaining 4 yolks to the bowl and mash to desired consistency. Gently stir in carrot, cucumber and scallions. To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Serving size: about ¾ cup
Per serving: 135 calories; 7 g fat(2 g sat); 1 g fiber; 7 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 36 mcg folate; 189 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 3,043 IU vitamin A; 3 mg vitamin C; 67 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 314 mg sodium; 248 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (61% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: ½
Exchanges: 1½ lean meat, ½ fat
Eating Well - http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/250438/veggie-egg-salad/