The Answer is "YES". The sedentary lifestyle is easy to fall victim to.
Research has shown that a sedentary lifestyle—sitting for long periods of time on a daily basis—leads to obesity, cancer, and risk of death from cardiovascular disease. Just sitting in front of your TV for more than 4 hours a day increases your mortality risk by any cause by nearly 50 percent! And it’s not just channel surfing. Any extended sitting, such as behind a desk or driving all day—can be harmful to your health. And spending a few hours at the gym each week doesn’t seem to significantly offset the risk of a sedentary lifestyle.
So, what to do? Sit less, move more—all day long. If you’re reading this, stand up! If you’re listening to music, stand up and move! The muscular effort you use will help burn calories and trigger the important breakdown of fats and sugars in the body. Every time you stand or actively move, you kick those fat-burning processes into gear. When you sit, they stall!
Here are some simple ways to combat your sedentary lifestyle and help you stand up for a longer, healthier life:
– Set your smart phone alarm, computer or clock to ring on the hour to remind you to stand up, refill your cup of water, and visit the bathroom.
– Do this quick yoga routine several times a day.
– Stand up and do some leg raises.
– Take all phone calls on your feet.
– Schedule a “walking date” or learn to take meetings walking.
– Park your car further away and walk to your destination!
– Always take the stairs, instead of the elevator. Even one floor will do your body good.