Caramelizing Vidalia onions brings out complex and delicious flavors. Mushrooms add meatiness without significant calories. Add these to risotto made with brown rice - providing whole grains and a nutty flavor - and you have a deliciously healthful dish.
- Heat 1 tbsp canola oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. (Do not use non-stick skillet.)
- Add Vidalia onions and stir to coat with the oil. Stirring occasionally, let cook until brown (about 30 minutes).
- Remove Vidalia onions from pan, and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean. Heat remaining olive oil in pan and brown mushrooms (about 15 minutes).
- While mushrooms and Vidalia onions are browning, cook risotto as follows.
- Heat wine and rice in pot, stir until wine is absorbed.
- Mix broth and water together.
- Increase heat to medium-high; stir in 1 cup of water-broth mixture.
- Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and add remaining water-broth mixture, 1 cup at a time, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another.
- Add peas to rice with last cup of liquid.
- Cook until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency, approximately 1 hour.
- Gently stir in caramelized Vidalia onions, mushrooms, and cheese. Let sit about five minutes and serve.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with non-fat milk and fruit.